Sewing Machine experience necessary
Create an art quilt using a batik panel! Artistic Artifacts’ sister company Batik Tambal works with the leading artists in Indonesia to create their hand-drawn batik panels; we will briefly discuss how these panels are created in a cooperative process that is led by the artist. While panels can be used to create quilts, art quilts, home décor and clothing, many are afraid to cut into them or sew them. Dispel that fear with this class: bring in a panel you already own (or purchase one from Artistic Artifacts at www.artisticartifacts.com/category/BPN.html), several coordinating fabrics and a few supplies and we will brainstorm ideas to create a custom small art quilt! We will begin the quilt in class and complete a much as possible; if your top is unfinished at the end of the day, you will leave with a specific plan to complete it on your own.
Please bring the following with you to class:
• Batik panel. Artistic Artifacts/Batik Tambal stocks a large number of panels in a variety of sizes by a variety of Indonesian artists, each with their own style, if you do not already own a panel to use.
• If you are local, please bring your sewing machine, in good working order with all necessary cords and accessories. We will have machines available to use!
o Bring additional feet, such as a free motion foot, if you already have them
• Cotton fabric, print or solid, to coordinate/contrast with your batik panel
• Embellishment fabric (cotton or specialty: laces, sheers, wovens, home decorating, etc.), to coordinate/contrast with your batik panel
• Batting and backing fabric, to fit your chosen size. Your finished quilt size is up to you, but in order to finish your top while in class, it’s recommended that you plan to work in small sizes— nothing larger than 24" x 24".
• Sewing Thread to match/coordinate with your color ideas
• Embellishments if desired:
o Found objects and trinkets
o Jewelry pieces