Sometimes it’s hard to get started on an assemblage piece. We will use a carpenters level as our focal point and inspiration, then add collage and other three dimensional objects to complete the piece. This is a great piece to do if you are new to assemblage because it has all the elements of assemblage without the challenges of making a freestanding sculpture.
Supplies Needed for Class:
• A carpenter’s level. It can be any size or type. They can be purchased at the Dollar store, or in an antique shop. (I will have some for purchase as well.)
• A board. The board has to be sturdy enough to put nails or screws into. It could be a rough plank, or a piece of basswood from the craft store, or even a game board. The size of the level will determine the size of your board. My “number 3” piece is about 9 by 12 inches. The other piece shown is about 12 x 24 inches. The level can go over the edges if you’d like it to.
• Paper items for collaging the background on the board. It’s helpful if you have color copies of the images you want to use in several sizes. You could also put paint on the board.
Dimensional items to attach to the board. Your life will be easier if you find items that have flat backs, but if you have rounded objects, we can work with those, too.
• Wire cutters
• Screw punch or hand drill or crop-a-dile, or dremel tool. Any one will work
• Center punch, if you have one
• Jewelry tools – bring what you have. I usually use round nose pliers, two pair of bent chain
nose pliers, and a pair of pliers with a flat blade. I’ll have mine to share, so don’t feel obligated to buy them if you don’t already have them.
• Wire cutters
• Pliers with ridges for gripping.
• Safety glasses
• Acrylic paint, metal paint, or guilder’s paste – for highlights
Supply fee $10 paid to instructor at beginning of class includes:
Apoxie sculpt, clear gesso, hardware items to help in attaching the pieces together. Extra assemblage items will be available for purchase, but are not required.
Many of the required supplies may be pre-ordered from Artistic Artifacts. They will be ready and waiting for you to pick up when you arrive at the retreat.
To order supplies, contact Artistic Artifacts.