The process of painting with warm beeswax and tree sap is kinesthetic and primitive, and your senses will respond in this enlivening encaustic workshop.
First, I will guide you to creating rich color through layering and scraping, and by choosing to work with complimentary, split-complimentary and analogous color.
Then, using rice paper, tea bags and other delicate substances as embedded collage, I will guide you in designing expressive forms as a body of imagery in your work
Then we will scumble our surfaces. Scumbling an encaustic surface is simply creating texture through collage elements combined with our waxy brush stroke and pigment rubs. Our surfaces undergo the transformation of aging, while still remaining luminously colorful underneath.
Join me and try it for yourself. All levels of experience and non-experience welcome! For more information, go to luminousencaustics.com or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Techniques covered in this workshop: layering and scraping, embedding, texturing surfaces, complimentary, split-complimentary & analogous color palettes, surface play and pigment rubs.
Materials fee $45 pay to instructor at beginning of class includes:
Encaustic medium, encaustic paint, use of encaustic brushes, griddles, skillets, little wax pots, torches, a variety of encaustic scraping, incision tools and tweezers, bits of rice paper and tea bags for embedding, pigment stick, oil paint, color charts and wheels, handouts
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
1. 3 wood painting boards (cradle boards are nice!), 8”x8” is a good size
2. A few wads of paper towels for clean up
3. 3-4 pairs of Nitrile gloves
4. Wax paper for transporting paintings
1. If you own a small torch, please bring it as we will be sharing. Just empty it before placing it in your luggage, and put a note on it that says its empty.
2. We will be working with expressing visual imagery, so maybe jot down any ideas you get ahead of time, like “I really love the veins in cabbage leaves”, or “streetlamps are so pretty at dusk” or “my dogs tail is crazy!”
3. If you have personal collage papers you’d like to embed into your paintings, please bring them.
4. If you own a color wheel, please bring it.
4 Spaces Remaining
Many of the required supplies may be pre-ordered from Artistic Artifacts. They will be ready and waiting for you to pick up when you arrive at the retreat.
To order supplies, contact Artistic Artifacts.