This is the final encaustic workshop in my series of four that I am presenting here at Art & Soul at Ocean City. Take all four classes to gain mastery in encaustic painting technique, or jump in anywhere along the way just for fun. Luminous Encaustics Studio on-the-Road brings excellent encaustic instruction right to your door, with a full encaustic studio set up, and small class size for personal instruction.
As we grow together in this final workshop, waxy beauty and rich surprise await our touch. Together, we will open up to our inner artists and allow waxy color, vibrancy and depth to move within our paintings.
Sculpturally, we will be playing with recessed and relief surfaces, as well as with obscuring and revealing hidden images in the layers of the wax. Patterns within the wax are created through deep smash-stamping or by embedding collaged imagery within the deepest layers of our paintings. Recessed & relief surfaces are created by peeling back the topmost layers of our paintings.
As a flourish, we will hand roll our warm wax scrapings to sculpt tiny botanicals for the surface of our paintings. There is nothing like getting right in and handling warm, aromatic beeswax and tree sap. You will love this part.
For our waxy color play, we will experiment with expanding our color vocabulary. I will teach you to create color harmony by playing with toning and tinting your color choices through the ease of mixing on the warm griddle.
And as a final touch, we will experiment with expressing ourselves with metallic line and metal leaf which will feel like icing on a cake.
All levels of experience and non-experience welcome! For more information, go to luminousencaustics.com or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Techniques covered in this workshop: artmaking through creativity tapping affirmations, review of various techniques, waxy paint peels, smash-stamping, embedding collage, hand sculpting waxy botanicals, harmonious color palettes, and metallic surface play.
Materials Fee $45 payable to instructor at beginning of class includes:
Encaustic medium, encaustic paint, use of encaustic brushes, griddles, skillets, little wax pots, torches, a variety of encaustic incising and carving tools, tweezers, stencil paper, wood printing blocks, collage papers, a variety of pigment sticks, metallic pigments & oil paints, metal leaf, metallic transfer paper, color charts and color wheels, handouts including luminous encaustics affirmations
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
1. 3 wood painting boards (cradle boards are nice!), 6”x8” suits our compositional needs
2. A few wads of paper towels for clean up
3. 3-4 pairs of Nitrile gloves
4. Wax paper for transporting paintings
1. If you own a small torch, please bring it as we will be sharing. Just empty it before placing it in your luggage, and put a note on it that says its empty.
2. We will be working with simple silhouettes of imagery, so if you want to spend time on a personal image that is a silhouette and would fit within the size restraints (not too big!), feel free to draw something out ahead of time. I’ll have little silhouettes we can all use, so we’re good there.
3. If you have personal collage papers you’d like to embed into your paintings, please bring them.
4. If you own a color wheel, please bring it.
Many of the required supplies may be pre-ordered from Artistic Artifacts. They will be ready and waiting for you to pick up when you arrive at the retreat. For further info and to place your order, please visit: http://www.artisticartifacts.com.