Angels & Icons is a mash-up of inspirations that results in unique, textural, and globally influenced mixed media artwork that takes figurative artwork in a fun new direction. The original inspiration for this series of work came from a mix of Mexican Folk Art and Russian Orthodox Icons along with my own personal influences and experiences. If angels and / or icons aren't your thing? No worries! Students have taken this project in many directions including fairy queens, a comic book hero, a butterfly princess, a shaman, or any strong male or female figure that you want to convey.
We'll use a combination of techniques and products including collage, fabric, stencils, stamps, heat embossing, and lots more as we make our collaged figure and background on an 12" x 16" canvas panel.
Materials Fee $10 paid at beginning of class includes:
• 12" x 16" canvas panel
• Options for faces, wings, and halos
• Pattern for the body
• A variety of my embossing powders and 1-2 heat guns to use in class
• My stencil and stamp designs to share
• A selection of fabrics, papers, and embellishments for use in your projects
• Some additional mediums, paints, and tools to share
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• A craft mat, baby wipes, and scissors
• A variety of papers, fabric scraps, ephemera, jewels, trims, etc... to build and accessorize your figure
• A few sheets of neutral collage papers and ephemera for your background
• Acrylic Paint - a few favorite colors (you'll probably want gold or bronze too)
• Paint brushes (I recommend a 1" chip brush or a large round bristle brush and a smaller flat or round brush - about a size 8 round or 1/2" flat)
• Matte medium and a brush or sponge to apply it
• Glue or a heavy gel medium (I like E6000, LockTite Gel Control, and Tacky Glue for adhesives or Golden Heavy Gel Medium - matte.)
Noting that while I have listed several optional tools and supplies, I do not travel light to my classes and will have lots of the items on this list to share. If you prefer to work from your own stash or have specific items or styles / colors you want to use, feel free to bring whatever you would want to use from this list along with any additional supplies you think you may want.
• Embellishments for your figure
• Wings if desired (I'll also have a few options to choose from)
• Texture mediums - (I like Wendi Vecchi gold embossing paste) or a plain light molding paste like Golden.
• Circular objects or diecuts to use as a halo if desired (I'll also have a few options)
• Liquid Pearls or dimensional paints, Stickles, etc... as desired
• Colored pencils and / or watercolors to color your face and wings