This workshop explores the immediacy and process-diverse technique of encaustic mono-printing. Through journaling, personal mapping and expressive mark-making exercises, we will access layers of the self, providing the inspiration to develop ideas and areas of focus for series-based work on paper. All encaustic supplies are included, however, you might like to bring your own collage materials and/or some of the optional supplies for more personal expression.
Materials Fee $25 cash paid to instructor at beginning of class includes:
• Soy wax for brush cleaning
• heated encaustic tools and irons
• Extra drawing paper
• Parchment paper
• encaustic paint
• limited variety of dried/pressed botanicals
• carbon based copies for photo transfer
• Small journal/sketchbook
• Mark-making tools
• Limited variety of Collage materials • Limited variety of paint sticks
• Tracing paper
• Pans and cups for paint and medium
• Limited variety of watercolor inks
• encaustic medium
• griddles/heated palettes
• cords/power strips
• Mono-printing papers
• Watercolor brushes
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• any tool or material for any technique that you normally employ while working with encaustic.
• basic encaustic colors will be provided, however, if you prefer certain colors, please bring them.
• decorative stencils, mesh, doilies, etc-anything flat with open areas that can be used as a stencil.
• found objects for dipping in ink for mark-making
• Pressed flowers or botanicals
• Eco printed or other hand dyed fabrics you would like to collage (thin fabrics like silk or print cloth weight cotton)
• Images, photographs, thin papers, threads for collage
• Paper towels
• Pencil sharpener