o Gouache performs like watercolors but it is opaque rather than sheer. Gouache comes in tubes and you squeeze out a little at a time. Make sure to include 2 reds, 2 blues, 2 yellows, black, white, 1-2 browns, 1 green, 1 orange, 1 violet, and any other colors that you might be attracted. Holbein Acryla Gouache, and Windsor Newton Designer Gouache are my favorite brands of gouache
o Watercolors comes in tubes or pan sets. Unlike gouache, it goes on sheer, and also you can squeeze out watercolors into a little container and though it will dry, it can be reactivated with water. If you want a basic set in little pans, a set like like this one will be fine. If you want to get tubes, get 2 reds, 2 blues, black, white, 1-2 browns, 1 green, 1 orange, 1 violet and any other colors you like. My favorite brands are M. Graham & Co. Artists' Watercolors, Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors, and Holbein Artists' Watercolors.
Supplies to bring to class:
• Black Stabilo pencil
• Regular pencil
• Masking tape 1.5 or 2 inch in width
• Watercolor postcards
• Raw wood panel (a 3-pack of 5x7 will be good)
• Pencil sharpener
• Watercolor Graphite
• Mixed Media Sketchbook (I carry the smaller 5.5 x 8.5 size that fits nicely in my backpack. That's my go-to size. Having a larger size for the studio is also a good idea.)
• Parallel pen size 6.0mm with the blue cap
• Watercolor Paintbrushes (Currently I like Golden Taklon brushes by Trekell. Size 10 is a good one to have.)
• Acrylic Rulers (I have several sizes and having several is good if you are using small and large sketchbooks. For a smaller sketchbook, a 5x5 or 6 x6 inches would be good.)
Large container for water
• (Optional): Watercolor tin: that you can use to squeeze out your watercolor tubes if you go that route. This is only for watercolor tubes, not gouache.
• Smart phone or ipad fully charged, with images that you want to reference for work.
Most of the required supplies for your classes can be pre-ordered from Collage. They will be ready and waiting for you to pick up when you arrive at the retreat. For further info and to place your order, contact: