When we think of abstract art we tend to think of painting. I would like to invite you on an adventure in using fabric instead of paint. This two-day workshop delves into fabric dyeing, composition, and mark-making with thread. The first day we will create our palette of “paint” by creating, one of a kind, hand-dyed fabric. You will learn the basics of eco and rust dyeing including equipment, materials, choosing plants, mordants, bundling, and so much more. Well on our way to originality with our stash of hand-dyed fabrics. Day two we will focus on composition, construction, and embroidery. This is not your grandma’s embroidery sampler. We will be using thread as a drawing medium. Working intuitively, we will explore mark making through embroidery and applique. I am a strong proponent of experimentation and light-heartedness in making art. My job is not to tell you “how to” make art but to share techniques and support you in finding your unique creative voice.
Materials Fee $25 paid at beginning of class includes:
materials content hereEquipment and propane for steaming
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• Smaller pieces of white or light-colored fabric. Silk, wool, and cotton are the “recommended” fabrics, but I have had some striking results with synthetic as well. I am a big proponent of recycled textiles so feel free to bring some experimental fabric from the thrift store.
• A pair of fabric scissors
• Supplemental small pieces of solid colored fabrics in colors to compliment the eco and rust dyed pieces we will be making. Make sure to include some black or other dark color
• Embroidery floss in black, dark brown, cream, white, and an assortment of other colors of your choosing I suggest leaning towards earth tones
• Embroidery needles
• Embroidery hoop and thimble if you work with those normally
• Straight pins
• A disappearing fabric marking pen: I prefer the ones that disappear with heat but the water or air disappearing will work also
For your convenience, you may pre-order your materials for classes! Your materials will be waiting for you at the retreat. And you can always purchase additional materials at the retreat.