NOTE: Sewing machine experience required. If you are traveling, we will have 5 machines available to share. Please contact email@example.com if you live locally, and can bring your machine so we can reserve the five for others!
History and literature are full of stories of great lovers some who had to pursue their assignations in secrecy. Love notes would be passed discreetly or tucked into clandestine places known only to the lovebirds. Celebrate this Valentine’s Day by creating a lovely embellished heart pocket quilt into which you can tuck messages or gifts for your sweetheart.
Materials fee $28 paid directly to instructor at beginning of class includes:
background panel, choice of exotic/decorative fabrics, interfacing, fusible web trims and lace, embellishments, threads and templates.
Supplies You Need to Bring to Class in addition to materials provided by instructor:
• Freezer paper: To draft heart designs on.
• Drawing pencil and eraser: Bring a good white rubber/plastic eraser, do not rely on the one at the end of the pencil; they rough up the paper and wear down too quickly. A mechanical pencil with extra leads is preferable to one that needs constant sharpening.
• Scissors: Fabric scissors that you don’t mind using to cut adhesive/paper backed fabrics with and a pair of craft scissors for the freezer paper
• Rotary cutter, mat and cutting ruler: Ideally, the ruler should be at least 18” long but can be any width you have on hand.
• Sewing Machine: Capable of zigzag or embroidery stitching, with the standard accessories and an open toed foot. A free motion foot could come in handy and a machine with a good variety of programmed embroidery stitches will provide opportunities to use decorative stitching as embellishment..
• Pins: Ordinary sewing pins.
• Keepsakes or gifts: You can tuck small gifts for your loved one into your valentine pockets – a poem written on a small piece of decorative paper, a piece of jewelry wrapped in tissue paper, a stem ‘pick’ with silk flowers (available at craft stores), a peacock feather, a folded lace handkerchief, a small folded paper fan or a small chocolate bar… use your imagination.
• Seam ripper: Never leave home without one.
Other Incidental Supplies:
• Lighting: additional lighting may be helpful; a portable Ott light would be appropriate.
• Extension cords and plug strips (if bringing additional lighting)
• A Pillow: Many venues have less than comfortable chairs, a pillow may help.
Please be courteous to others by arriving for class with the correct supplies. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.