The Gelli plate has most commonly been used to create collage papers. I want to invite you to rethink the Gelli plate as a road to a complete work of art.
Monoprinting has a very rich history in the art world. Did you know that Gauguin, Picasso, and Degas used their equivalent of a Gelli Plate to create masterpieces? We are very lucky to have the technology of the modern Gelli plate because it allows us to create monoprints without an expensive printing press and toxic inks right in our homes.
I am going to share with you the unique techniques and esthetics that I bring to Gelli printing. Texture and grunge are at the base of all my work. I have spent many hours experimenting in order to recreate the look of peeling paint and ancient textures. Your first day will be exploring and experimenting with a huge range of techniques and getting a good foundation and materials to use in your final work of art.
On the second day, we will be exploring mark making, collage, and complete at least one work of art. You will learn easy techniques to register your plate and allow for multiple printing and layering. Encouraging and supporting creativity is at the base of my teaching. My job is to share techniques and then encourage and support your unique expression.
Materials Fee $15 paid at beginning of class includes:
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• 2 Gelli plates any size or shape
• A brayer
• An assortment of acrylic paints from different manufactures. We are looking to experiment with different qualities of paint: include some cheap craft paints, a transparent paint, a heavy bodied paint, and perhaps that strange paint you don’t know what to do with. Make sure to include a black and white.
• A pad of mixed media paper
• Wet wipes
• A palette and water container
• Your favorite pens or pencils for mark making
• A roll of blue painter’s tape
• Heat gun and extension cord
For your convenience, you may pre-order your materials for classes! Your materials will be waiting for you at the retreat. And you can always purchase additional materials at the retreat.