Prayer Flags are a Tibetan tradition where prayers and mantras are printed on fabric flags and hung outside where the wind can spread good will and compassion to all. In this class, we'll take inspiration from traditional prayer flags to create our own personalized mixed media versions (which can also be intention flags or banners without words) using paper and mainly paper elements to put our own hopes and intentions for the coming year into the world.
In class we'll create backgrounds for our prayer flags and then we'll use a variety of media to create layered focal embellishments and put our flags together. I'll share the process for a whimsical paper mandala plus two other collages. You'll finish with three flags of your own to display wherever they'll most inspire you.
Materials Fee $10 paid to instructor at beginning of class includes:
• 140lb watercolor paper as the base for your flags
• A glue stick
• Eyelets (tools provided to add them to your flags)
• Sari yarn / ribbon to hang your flags
• Blender sponges for stenciling
Supply Table Tools & Supplies Included in Class Kit:
• Lots of washi tape options
• Several colors of Stickles glitter glue and dimensional paint (Nuvo Drops)
• Use of shared stencils and stamps
• Spray inks
• Prills, Boho Bits, and other papers and embellishments to share
• Boho Blends Embossing Powder
Teacher will also provide:
• Heat embossing station if you want to heat emboss
• Stamps and stencils to share
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• Rubber stamps and / or stencils (I'll have my stamps from PaperArtsy and my StencilGirl stencils, but you can bring any favorites.)
• Acrylic stamp blocks if using unmounted stamps
• Tacky Glue or a similar white glue
• A selection of patterned papers, cardstock, gelli prints, collage paper, etc...
• Ink pads (I'll be using Black, Sepia, and a few other colors of Archival Inks and Versafine Clair pigment ink for embossing.)
• Baby wipes and / or paper towels
• Alphabet stamps , stencils, or stickers if you want to add intentions, mantras, or words to your flags (there will be some options available in class.)
• Blender brushes or sponges to apply ink through stencils
• A strong, clear glue for adhering metal or other dimensional embellishments (I use E6000, Loctite Gel Control super glue, and iCraft Ultra Bond Adhesive.)
• Stickers and / or rub-ons to use in your focal collages
• A variety of embellishments for your focal collages (my samples use metal butterflies from Finnabair, an old bookplate, some of my Boho Bits embellishments, rhinestones, buttons, bits of blingy fabric scraps, Prills, beads, or other circular or frame type embellishments.
• Pens for mark making (I use black, white, and gold.)