Using watercolors and mixed media, we will create color-filled pages of art in our travel journals. You will learn many techniques for preparing pages using watercolor, office products, and mixed media to capture favorite moments of your vacation time. We will practice doing some quick sketches, pen and ink drawings, and watercolor paintings. By creating exciting backgrounds for your artistic endeavors, you will learn new ways to make your journaling more exciting!
Different papers and mixed media products will give us a variety of textural effects. Artists are very tactile and inserting dimensional objects adds a component of mystery, engaging the reader to explore beyond the flat dimension of the page. Some pages will be used for vivid watercolor paintings and others will be prepared for travel journaling, drawings, musing, doodling or for adding your collected travel treasures. Enhancing your travel journal is a great way to start or finish a journal with flair making this your favorite journal!
Materials Fee $ 15 paid at beginning of class includes:
• Black & white gesso
• Specialty papers, library pockets, shipping tags and index card dividers
• Texture makers
• Watercolor paint samples
• Tracing paper
• Artist tape
• Electrical tape
• Acrylic paints – iridescent gold or iridescent copper
• Rubber stamps
Supplies Needed to bring for Class:
• Top quality watercolor paints (not student grade). My favorite brands include Daniel Smith, Winsor Newton, Sennelier, and Holbein. Cobalt blue, cerulean blue, French ultra-marine, permanent magenta, permanent rose, French vermilion, quinacridone red, permanent orange, new gamboge or Indian yellow, Hansa or lemon yellow, quinacridone gold, and sap green will give you a well-rounded palette.
• Watercolor Palette
• Watercolor brushes in a variety of sizes such as Princeton Brush & Co. Series 4050 such as a round #3, round #8, ½ inch flat, and a liner brush size #2 or #4, scrubber brush
• Old brush for spreading gesso
• Watercolor paper, Arches 140 Cold Pressed, block size 7 x 10 that can be bound into a journal or a watercolor journal
• A drawing pencil and kneaded eraser
• Water container
• Small cotton cloth or washcloth
• Small spray bottle
• Permanent black ink pen
• Uni-ball Signo White gel ink pen
• Small scissors
• Glue stick and double sided tape
• Personal items to add to your journal pages such as photos, maps, collected business card and ephemera, brochures,
OPTIONAL: Some of your favorite stamps and ink pads. Alphabet stamps, and letter stencils are great for embellishing pages. Sharpie oil-based paint fine point pens (white, magenta, aqua, yellow, pink, lime). Washi Tapes.
Questions? Email Jacqueline at firstname.lastname@example.org